Stark & Marsh is a CPASB training office that supports both the MPAcc and CPASB routes in attaining your CPA designation. We provide hands-on learning opportunities, allowing students to work through client files from start to finish with the help of both a trainer and a mentor. We offer the experience necessary for students to develop skills by working with large, complex files while maintaining the feel of a small-town environment.
Regardless of your educational approach; CPAWSB or MPAcc, Stark & Marsh offers the following:
- Paid CFE study leave.
- All fees (student membership fees, individual module fees, and CFE fees) are paid for by the firm.
- Densmore “in-house” training week. Stark & Marsh covers course costs and paid study time.
- Access to a designated CPAWSB Coordinator for all questions and discussions.
- Numerous other students at various stages of development.
OUR COMMITMENT TO CPA STUDENTS
- Paid study and exam days that does not come out of your holidays or banked time.
- Mentor assistance in marking and reviewing assignments and exams.
- Course attendance relating to the modules (workshop sessions) including travel time is paid for.
- Reimbursement will be provided for mileage (approved rates), meals, rental vehicles (if necessary), and accommodations to attend out of town courses or exams.
- A paid study day for each module and a paid day to write the module exam—if additional time off is wanted, it can be requested.
- Paid time to write a practice exam in an exam setting for each module when studying—exam is debriefed by recent graduates, which is then went over with the student.
OUR COMMITMENT TO MPACC STUDENTS
- A leave of absence is provided to our MPAcc Students for each four month semester.
Commonly Asked Questions
Do I need to plan on becoming a CPA to work for Stark & Marsh?
No. However, we encourage students to consider the pros and cons of each career path. Not attaining your CPA might mean it may take longer to work your way up through the ranks. You could still end up in the same place as CPA’s in our firm but it might not happen as quickly.
Other than taxes what does your firm specialize in?
We offer accounting and advisory services for individuals and businesses. We specialize in tax advisory services, valuations and transition planning, with a particular focus on agricultural producers.
What is your annual hour requirement for a full time employee?
Our accounting firm operates off of a full time 2100 hour annual hour work commitment.
Other than Swift Current, do you have any other locations?
We have full time offices in Shaunavon and Assiniboia. We also have day offices in Cabri, Kyle, Leader, Maple Creek, and Val Marie, SK.
How many people work at Stark & Marsh?
We have roughly 65 in Swift Current, 12 in Shaunavon, 5 in Assiniboia, a handful at home offices, and one or two in our remaining day offices. In total we employ roughly eighty-five staff members.
What types of skills are valuable that I might not be aware of?
Strong English, reading, and writing skills are essential. Good communication skills are also very important. Although being good at math and understanding numbers is important, it’s more about being a good problem solver, seeing the big picture, and thinking ahead.
GROWING YOUR CAREER
At Stark & Marsh, we feel that no two career paths have to be the same. We proudly offer a variety of opportunities for our staff to get to where they want to be in their career and get the support they need to succeed. Whether it is additional education and training, taking advantage of our mentorship program, or working toward a specialized area within the firm, we’re here to help.
Conrad Funk CPA, CA, CVA, Senior Manager
In 2012, Conrad enrolled in the CASB program while working at Stark & Marsh, and obtained his CA designation in 2015. At the same time, he also helped lead the Swift Current Indians to a WMBL championship. Stark & Marsh offers a strong approach to a flex-time environment, which allowed Conrad to put more work time in when the ball season was less active.
Laurie Berg ACIA, Senior Manager
Laurie started at Stark & Marsh in 1992 as a seasonal file clerk, but has since worked her way up the corporate ladder and today holds a management position. In 2002, she received her ACIA designation through the Institute of Chartered Accountants of BC. She is a valuable team member, serving on several of our firm’s advancement teams and works on promoting our business.
Nadine Dyck CPA, CA, CVA, CBV, Partner
Being able to balance work life and home life is important to Nadine. It is also important to us at Stark & Marsh.
Nadine is both a mother and valued member of our team, and the firm has supported her need to work reduced hours. She also continues to advance her career by enrolling in programs, such as the Emerging Leaders Program, to improve and develop skills that will help her and our firm succeed.
Shane Lacasse CPA, CA, CFP, CAFA, Partner
Armed with a passion for agriculture, Shane began working with us in 2002, when he moved back to Swift Current to be more involved in the family farm. Stark & Marsh provides Shane with the time needed to balance both farm life and work life, while also allowing him to build strong community networks.
Whether you are a recent graduate or a seasoned professional, the team at Stark & Marsh would like to talk to you. We support our employees by sustaining a culture that balances work and life and promotes lifelong learning through professional development. If you think this is an opportunity you’re ready for, please submit your resume and cover letter to our Director of Operations, Darcy Congdon.
If we see an opportunity to have you join our team, we will figure out where to fit you in. Every job is important and an opportunity with Stark & Marsh will prove to help you meet your career goals.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Our total rewards package includes flexible work schedules, a group RRSP matching program, benefits, and professional development and training. Details regarding compensation will be based on the successful candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience. We are a progressive and competitive organization, but also understand the importance of a healthy work environment and a balance in life. We value our down-to-earth culture and ability to have fun and are always looking for new team members that can do the same.
All successful candidates will receive technical training and immediate practical experience in their area of employment. While developing the required technical knowledge and diagnostic, project/process management, and information management skills, they will also strive to reach leadership, management, communications, and interpersonal competencies as cultivated within the firm.
SENIOR AUDIT ASSOCIATE
Stark & Marsh CPA LLP is seeking a qualified individual to join our Assurance Services Department as an experienced Accounting Technician in Swift Current, Shaunavon, or Assiniboia as a full time permanent position. As part of our assurance team, our successful candidate will primarily have the opportunity to work on a wide range of reviews and audits along with additional involvement in compilations and corporate tax returns.
Our successful candidate will take on a professional role as part of servicing our clients, leading engagement teams, and providing coaching and mentoring to junior team members. The ideal candidate requirements are:
- CPA, CA designated or equivalent designation, or near completion of the designation
- At minimum a bachelor’s degree in an accounting, finance or a business program, supported by a minimum of eighteen months’ work experience as an auditor in a public accounting firm
- Working knowledge of trial balances, general ledger databases, financial statement close processes and accounting matters.
- Strong understanding of Canadian GAAP and GAAS.
- Strong computer literacy.
- Experience with accounting and tax software such as Caseware, Taxprep, Profile, Quickbooks, and Sage 50 is considered an asset.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills that allow you to thrive in a team environment.
- The ability to develop and maintain working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Demonstrate an ability to prioritize workload to ensure client commitments are honoured.
- Previous file preparation experience in a public accounting firm required.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Completion of audit and review engagements in both an individual and team environment
- Design and execute assurance procedures based on risk and materiality.
- Identify issues, propose resolutions, and discuss with engagement manager or partner to reach agreed up on action plans
- Verify and test financial statements and supporting disclosures.
- Develop strong working relationships with clients by providing exceptional client service
- Communicate with governments regarding information requests, assessments, and installments.
- Network in the local business community.
DESIGNATED ACCOUNTANT OR ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN
We are seeking a qualified individual to join our Technical Services Department as an Accountant in Shaunavon and Swift Current, SK.
- Our successful candidate will possess their CPA (CA, CMA, or CGA) or have 3-5 years experience and possess a post-secondary degree or diploma from a recognized business program
- Experience with Caseware and a client base of agriculture would be deemed an asset
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- The wiliness to learn & goal oriented
- The ability to work in a team setting
The successful candidate will be goal oriented with excellent problem solving, communication, and relationship building skills, along with the willingness to continually build on their technical knowledge.
Our successful candidate will receive technical training and immediate practical experience in their area of employment. While developing the required technical knowledge and diagnostic, project/process management, and information management skills, they will also strive to reach leadership, management, communications, and interpersonal competencies as cultivated within the firm.
CPA ARTICLING STUDENT
Stark & Marsh CPA LLP is seeking qualified individuals to join as Articling Students in our Swift Current office. We are a progressive and competitive organization, but also understand the importance of a healthy work environment and a balance in life. We value our down-to-earth culture and ability to have fun and are always looking for new team members that can do the same. We are an approved training office built on internal policies that help students succeed through the CPAWSB or MPAcc Program.
Our successful candidate will possess a degree in Business Administration/Commerce with a major in Accounting. They will be goal oriented with excellent problem solving, communication, and relationship building skills, along with the willingness to continually build on their technical knowledge.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Our successful candidate will receive technical training and practical experience in accounting, audit, and tax services. While developing the required technical knowledge and diagnostic, project/process management, and information management skills, they will also strive to reach leadership, management, communications, and interpersonal competencies as cultivated within the firm. The successful candidates will be given the opportunity to take ownership of files & client work in its entirety. As a result, Client interaction comes early on.
Apply for one of our positions by submitting your resume & cover letter to Director of Operations Darcy Congdon.
SCCHS Scholarship Program
Stark & Marsh CPA LLP currently offers up to two $500 scholarships to the Swift Current Comprehensive High School. Applicants must be graduating from Grade 12 enrolling in a full-time, post-secondary educational program within 1 year of graduation.
Selection is based off of:
- Applicants must provide Grade 10, 11, and 1st semester of Grade 12 marks
- Applicants level of community involvement and school activities will be reviewed
- Students who display a sense of responsibility associated with paying for their education
- Proof of enrollment must be provided prior to receiving scholarship funds
- Scholarship recipients must agree to publicly releasing their name and in some circumstances a photo as a recipient of a Stark & Marsh CPA LLP scholarship.
Great Plains College Scholarship Program
Stark & Marsh CPA LLP provides $5,000.00 on an annual basis for scholarships in the Business or Administrative Assistant Program.
For the 2020-21 academic year, students are automatically considered for an Entrance Scholarship when you apply to a full-time student loan-eligible program before the scholarship deadline (see below).
Students must pay their $55 application fee and submit their current transcripts for their application to be considered.
- $500 minimum Entrance Scholarship
- $5,000 maximum Entrance Scholarship
2020-21 Grade-based Entrance Scholarship Levels
Note: Entrance Scholarship grade average is calculated based on marks from 30-level Canadian studies and English classes, and the highest achieved marks from 20 or 30-level math and science classes. Some exceptions may apply.
Entrance Scholarship Deadlines:
Apr. 30 – deadline for September entry
Oct. 31 – deadline for late fall and winter program start dates
Feb. 28 – deadline for spring program start dates
The fine print for Entrance Scholarships:
In order to be eligible for an entrance scholarship your application must be received by April 30, 2020, for September 2020 program start dates and October 31, 2020, for late fall and winter program start dates, or February 28, 2021 for spring program start dates. This includes your Great Plains College Certificate & Diploma programs application or Great Plains College university application form, your application fee and a copy of your most recent transcript.
Please visit Great Plains College’s website for full scholarship application details.